Friday, October 29, 2010

“BOO-tiful Word Play for Halloween”


Trick-or-Treat?  As a parent and educator I enjoyed a real treat this morning when my son played a delightful trick on me with words.  Yesterday, Max’s teacher told her third grade class to wear spooky t-shirts to school today for their Halloween party.  When Max came downstairs for breakfast this morning he we was wearing a Florida Gator t-shirt instead (his big sister is a senior at UF).  I reminded him it was spooky t-shirt day and instructed him to go change quickly or we’d be late for school. He replied, “But mmm-o-m, I am wearing a spooky shirt…have you seen the Gators play lately?  Instead of ‘boo!’ (waving his fingers like a ghost) it’s ‘booooo!’ (turning both thumbs down).”   Now that was laugh-out-loud funny to me!
Children can be such a delight!  We all should follow their lead and weave more fun in our daily lives.  And yes, I did let him wear the Gator shirt to school after all.   Right now I imagine he’s treating his classmates with his tricky word play as they innocently fall one-by-one into his well-laid trap that begins with the question… “Max, why aren’t you wearing a spooky shirt?” 
Have a ghost finger-waving kind of a BOO-tiful Halloween everybody! 

No comments:

Post a Comment