Tuesday, October 5, 2010

"What's in a Theme?"


I enthusiastically embrace the use of themes when creating workshops for families.  Name a theme, any fun theme… superheroes, magicians, astronauts, detectives, rock stars… you name it.  I’ve either done it or am eager to try it out in the future.  For our Readers of the Caribbean (RoC) workshops, the trainers and even the attending families dress up like pirates to go along with the workshop theme.  The costumes range from simple (a red bandana and eye patch) to elaborate, but the fantastic byproduct is positive energy that fuels the entire group’s learning experience.   One mom I met even painted a beard, moustache, and eye patch on her baby.  Move over Johnny Depp, this drooling pirate was too cute for words!    
One of the main reasons I believe in using themes for trainings is that themes tend to bring in the numbers. You can plan the best training in the world, but if no one shows up, what good does it do, right? 
A principal at a school where we did a RoC training recently was amazed to see over 300 participants show up for his school’s RoC night.  He told me his teachers had put an untold amount of time and energy the year before in preparing PowerPoint presentations to share effective tutoring strategies they use in their classroom with parents.  They were very disappointed when less than 25 total people showed up. 
Here was this same principal a year later scratching his head in wonder at the large crowd of pirate families waiting for the RoC event to start, but it was no mystery to me.  The land lubbing families were seeking some adventure in family night learning!
So what is it about a theme that attracts families to trainings at schools?  We could discuss a lot of plausible reasons why, but one is pretty obvious-- themes allude to trainings being fun.   And who doesn’t want to be entertained when learning? 
I think one of the more interesting reasons why themes bring in numbers is subtle yet simple: themes make the prospect of attending an educational training less intimidating for many parents.  If you think about it, school was not the most positive experience for many of the parents we are all trying to reach the most.  Why would adults with negative childhood memories of schooling want to return to the “scene of the crime?”
When I walk up to greet a family before a RoC workshop dressed to the nines in my pirate attire and big grin belting “Ahoy there me mateys!” it is amazing to me how quickly their defenses drop and we’re off to the races in establishing rapport.  Maybe it simply makes me more approachable because it is obvious even I’m not taking myself too seriously.
Blimey, what do ye’ think ye’ scurvy reader of me blog?  Do tell before me makes ye’ walk the plank!

1 comment:

  1. Great Stuff Dr. Walker - I think kids really love to learn new things . You make it interesting for them by creating a fun atmosphere . I wished your programs were around when I was a kid !!! I will spread the word about your website .... All of the best .

    Howard
    Florida

    ReplyDelete